The Moton Museum is committed to ensuring that school children have the opportunity to visit the Museum as an important part of their educational experience. In June 2018, the Lynchburg Contributions Council of the Wells Fargo Foundation awarded a $5,000 grant to the Moton Museum to support bus transportation to the museum from area schools. This was provided in order to open up opportunities for children in surrounding school districts in Virginia to visit the museum who might not be able to do so otherwise.
The Moton Museum will use these funds to help Title 1 schools alleviate transportation costs to the museum. As defined by the Virginia Department of Education: Title 1 schools are schools that receive extra funds and instructional support because they have a significant population of low income students with their divisions (40% of their students or more).
The Moton Museum will reimburse school districts up to $250 per bus (limit three) for school groups that visit the museum. The Museum will reimburse schools up to $500 towards the use of a charter bus (limit one).
ALL reimbursements will be provided following the final trip.
Guidelines and Eligibility
The trip coordinator for the school groups will be required to:
- submit an online application (motonmuseum.org/transportationgrant) at least four weeks in advance
- inform our guest services manager at the time the tour is scheduled
The application and cost estimate will be reviewed and a decision will be communicated to the trip coordinator prior to the confirmation of the tour.
- In order to serve as many schools as possible, each school division is limited to receive transportation reimbursement once per school year on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The Moton Museum is not responsible for any costs outside of the transportation reimbursement.
- The applicant is not guaranteed the full amount for reimbursement. Distance traveled and the field trip cost estimate are taken into account when a decision is made.
- If you have any questions please contact the Director of Education at [email protected] or 434-315-8775 extension 3
To apply for transportation reimbursement, Click Here!