At Moton, we believe in the power of place. Have your students stand in the auditorium or give a speech from the stage where Moton students went on strike in 1951. We offer:
- museum tours
- first-person conversations with individuals involved in this history
- project-based learning activities geared to the Virginia SOLs
- lunchtime in the auditorium or outside the museum, if weather permits.
- hosting for trips as short as an hour, and longer if you would like to spend most of a school day in Farmville. The ideal field trip lasts approximately 90-120 minutes and consists of:
- a 15-minute introductory film shown in the auditorium
- a student strike activity
- guided museum tour
The exhibition can accommodate up to 25 students at a time. For larger groups, we have students break into smaller groups to do the student strike activity, talk with a member of the Strike generation, and tour the exhibition.
We partner with Longwood University and the Longwood Center for Visual Arts to provide many different programming opportunities.