At Moton, we believe in the power of place. Have your students stand in the auditorium or give a speech from the stage where Moton students went on strike in 1951. We offer:
- museum tours
- first-person conversations with individuals involved in this history
- project-based learning activities geared to the Virginia SOLs
- lunchtime in the auditorium or outside the museum, if weather permits.
- hosting for trips as short as an hour, and longer if you would like to spend most of a school day in Farmville. The ideal field trip lasts approximately 90-120 minutes and consists of:
- a 15-minute introductory film shown in the auditorium
- a student strike activity
- guided museum tour
The exhibition can accommodate up to 25 students at a time. For larger groups, we have students break into smaller groups to do the student strike activity, talk with a member of the Strike generation, and tour the exhibition.
We partner with Longwood University and the Longwood Center for Visual Arts to provide many different programming opportunities.
Sign up for your field trip.